Like many of you, I’ve been fixated on the storm coverage coming out of the Bahamas. It’s tragic. It’s heartbreaking. And it’s all too familiar for many of us. The stripped trees. The overturned boats. Crumpled roofs strewn about. It’s painful to watch, yet I can’t stop watching.
If you’ve been following News of St. John for some time now, you know how much I love a good raffle. Earlier this year, we raised $123,000 which was distributed to a variety of organizations on the island. Last year, we raised $100,000 for St. John’s nonprofit health center. We’re launching a new raffle today, but this one’s not for us. The people of the Abacos and Grand Bahama have a long road ahead, and they’re going to need our help.
All Hands and Hearts addresses the immediate and long-term needs of communities impacted by natural disasters. They spent 18 months working on St. John and were instrumental in our recovery. During their time on island, volunteers – dubbed “the purple shirts” – did everything from muck and gutting to mold sanitation and interior rebuilds. And over that 18-month period, they impacted 30 percent of the island’s population. That’s a pretty big deal. All Hands and Hearts is scheduled to head to the Bahamas next week, and they deserve our support. On this anniversary of Hurricane Irma, I’d like to pay it forward.
In doing so, we’re launching a raffle today. There is only one grand prize, and it’s pretty incredible. For just $25, you can enter to win the following…
News of St. John’s Pay It Forward Raffle: One Grand Prize
- A One-Week Stay at Faith Full View, a Beautiful One Bedroom Cottage with Pool & Amazing Views in Coral Bay
- A $1,000 Gift Card for Airfare – Donated by 340 Real Estate Co.
- A One-Week Jeep Wrangler (Four Door) Rental from St. John Car Rental
- A Sunset Charter on Southern Hospitality, a 46-foot Sea Ray, complete with Open Bar & Snacks
- A Full-Day Boat Charter on Flyaway Charters – Includes a Stop at Lime Out, One of Time Magazine’s 100 Greatest Places of 2019
- An Island Tour with Me! – Jenn from News of St. John
- A Sunset Sail on Helios, a Classic 48-foot Hinkley, complete with Open Bar & Snacks
- Three Cases of Skurnik Wines, Valued at $1,500 – Donated by Michael Skurnik, Owner of Marea on Ditliff Point
- A Hook Ring with Blue Topaz Stone – Locally Designed & Handcrafted by Vibe Collection
- A $200 Gift Certificate to Cruz Bay Landing
- A $200 Gift Certificate to The Longboard
- A $100 Gift Certificate to Rhumb Lines at Indigo Grill
- A $75 Gift Certificate to Lime Out, the Floating Taco Bar
- A $50 Gift Certificate to The Tap Room plus a $100 Gift Bucket
- A $60 Gift Certificate to Just Beach for Snorkel Rentals
- A $25 Gift Certificate to Irie Pops plus T-Shirt & Koozie
- St. Johnopoly, the Board Game – Donated by Me, Jenn from News of St. John
(The raffle has an estimated value of more than $6,500.)
It’s essentially a complete vacation. How amazing is that??!! I would like to extend a HUGE THANK YOU to all of the businesses that donated. All of the businesses listed above agreed to donate within minutes of me asking. That’s huge. I am so appreciative.
Again, tickets are just $25. There will not be a limit on entries, because we are trying to raise as much money as possible.
To purchase a ticket, please choose the number of tickets below. You can buy up to 10 at a time. Then click the Buy Now button. This will bring you to a secure PayPal page where you can check out. Please make certain the your correct email is used; We plan to notify the winner by email. (All entries will be treated as donations to Bahamas Relief.)
The raffle period has ended.
All entrants will receive a confirmation email from PayPal after purchasing your ticket/s provided you are a registered PayPal user. Because of the expected high volume of entries, we cannot personally email each entrant. Your email from PayPal will serve as your confirmation of entry into the drawing.
How the drawing works: Once the entry period is over, the raffle committee will personally write/type the names of each entrant on a raffle ticket. If you bought one ticket, we will write/type your name on one ticket. If you bought two tickets, we will write/type your name on two tickets. And so forth. All of the names will be placed into a secure bucket/basket/box. Once all of the names are written on tickets, we will draw the winner live on video. The drawing will be announced on newsofstjohn.com. A video of the drawing will also be posted on newsofstjohn.com The raffle period will end on Friday, September 20, 2019 at 9 p.m. EST. The winner will be announced on newsofstjohn.com on or about September 22, 2019. Now go ahead and enter! Good luck!! And thank you for helping us pay it forward!
Want to bookmark this raffle? You can find it at www.newsofstjohn.com/raffle
The Fine Print:
- The winner must adhere to the individual property/business rules and restrictions.
- The one-week stay at Faith Full View is good for any available dates in 2020 with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks. The property has a two person maximum. If Faith Full View requires a deposit, the winner is responsible for paying that fee.
- The St. John Car Rental Jeep rental is for a four-door Jeep Wrangler and is based on availability. It must be booked online with a valid credit card and driver’s license. A $100 deposit is required to reserve/hold the vehicle. The winner must comply with all terms and conditions. Tax is not included. Proof of insurance is required if declining CDW/LDW. If CDW/LDW is not declined, winner is responsible for that cost. No cash back for any unused portion of the Jeep rental.
- The three cases of Skurnik Wines can be shipped to the winner in the continental United States or picked up on St. John.
- In the event that a property/business becomes uninhabitable due to a storm, fire, or Act of God, the winner agrees to forfeit the prize.
- We strongly encourage the winner to purchase travel insurance.
- None of the prizes are transferrable without the business owner’s consent.