So it looks like I’m not the only one looking for recent images from St. John, specifically the Virgin Island National Park. There is currently a great photo contest happening, and you can win up to $10,000! Curious? Want to enter? Then read on!
The contest is called Share the Experience, and it’s a federal recreation lands photo contest. For this, organizers are looking for images in the following categories:
- Adventure & Outdoor Recreation: Share photos of your favorite activities and adventures on federal lands across the country – camping, hiking, biking, boating, fishing, kayaking, skiing, climbing, riding, etc.
- Family, Friends & Fun: Friends, Family and Fun encourages friends and families to explore America’s natural landscapes, vibrant culture and rich history.
- Historical & Cultural: Inspire with images depicting historical and cultural locations – from national historical sites and monuments to cultural celebrations on federal lands.
- Scenic, Seasons & Landscapes: Capture scenic vistas and sweeping landscapes – fall foliage, forests, winter wonderlands, flowers, mountains, deserts, canyons, lakes, seashores, rivers and more.
- Urban Playgrounds: Some of our most exciting sites are in, or just a stone’s throw from, America’s biggest cities, providing unique opportunities for urban residents (and visitors) to experience the natural, historical, and cultural heritage of our federal lands.
- Wildlife: Take a walk on the wild side with photos of wildlife on federal lands – mammals, birds, insects and reptiles. Keep your distance and stay safe!
There are some pretty strict guidelines to follow for this contest. For starters, all submitted photographs must be taken in 2019. Previous year’s images will be disqualified. The purpose of this contest is to find the official photo that will be featured on the America the Beautiful Federal Recreation Lands Pass for 2021. All residents from the 50 states and DC can enter. Unfortunately those of us living in the USVI are not permitted to enter. Bummer. Oh and you must be over the age of 13 and an amateur photographer.
As we mentioned, the top prize is $10,000. Here is the full list of prizes:
You can enter by visiting www.sharetheexperience.org. Images will be submitted through December 31, 2019. Good luck everyone!