Hello everyone and happy Thursday! Hurricane Dorian is officially out of the Territory… thank goodness for that! (Although we are hoping that it doesn’t hit our friends in Florida and the southeastern part of the US.) Blues skies are back, and things are getting back to normal today. Here’s a quick rundown of everything we know as of 9:15 a.m. Thursday morning.
- Update: The ports reopened early after on Thursday. (We chatted with the Coast Guard in San Juan right around 9 a.m. this morning. They said they still need to assess the ports in St. John and St. Thomas, and therefore they remain closed until further notice. This means that all boat traffic, including the people ferries and barges, are not operating. As soon as we learn that they reopen, we will let you know.)
- The curfew has been lifted as of 8 a.m. All businesses should be open today.
- The airport reopened at 7 a.m.
- A portion of the island remains without power. The Virgin Islands Water & Power Authority announced that it is currently working to restore power island-wide.
- The Virgin Islands National Park announced that it will work to make certain all beaches and trails are clear of debris today.
- The Animal Care Center announced that all of the animals at the shelter are fine.
- Dana Bartlett, who operates the Carolina Corral in Coral Bay, announced that all of her animals are fine as well.
Want to see what conditions look like for yourself? Check out our webcams at www.newsofstjohn.com/webcams
If you have any other specific questions, please let us know, and we will do our best to answer. Thanks and have a great day everyone!
16 thoughts on “Blue Skies are Back!”
Amen to that!
So So So happy our gorgeous little islands were spared!
After riding out hurricane Maria at the Westin and seeing firsthand how devastated St. John was, I am so glad that the island is seeing blue skies. I hope that everyone is safe and had minimal damage.
So glad to hear that damage has been seemingly minimal and that things appear well desire the unexpected nature of the storm. We are always with all of you there in spirit.
My previous post should have said “after riding out hurricane Irma…”. Sorry for any confusion.
Thoughts on Dorian:
1) Buh- bye now!
2) Glad there seems to be minimal damage
3) Cisterns are full!
4) The island stays super green
5) Let this be one-and-done this season
Enjoy the day!
Thanks for the good news, and for checking in safe.
Happy to hear, and we will be back.
Exactly what does the Coast Guard need to assess? Like a sunken yacht or cruise ship? . The pathetic predictions for the track and intensity were completely wrong. All the Weather Channel could talk about is Puerto Rico and said NOTHING about St Thomas or St John.
When will the red hook
Ferry to be ready to bring people to Saint John’s
It’s up and running.
It goes to St. John not St. John’s.
It now goes to both.
So glad it was a mild one. I was so scared.
Can anyone give any information If the barges to St John are operating again?
Everything is up and running as normal.