For the past four months, I have received countless emails and messages asking about volunteer opportunities here on island. First off, I would like to thank all of you for wanting to help us. That truly means a lot. I’d also like to thank the St. John Community Foundation for all the work they have done on behalf of our community. Yesterday, they published the following volunteer opportunities. If you are able to help with one of the listed opportunities, please contact the business directly. Thank you everyone!
1. Dana’s Carolina Corral in Coral Bay
Website: http://horsesstjohn.com Email: [email protected]
Help reconstructing fences, awnings and water tanks.
2. Gifft Hill School: 340-776-6595 or 340-776-1730
Help with clean-up projects and repairs to the upper campus.
3. St. John School of the Arts: 340-779-4322
Email: [email protected]
Help with the concert series and more.
4. Animal Care Center of St. John: 340-774-1625 Website: stjohnanimalcarecenter.com Email: [email protected]
Help walk dogs, clean the cat area, and special projects.
5. Friends of Virgin Islands National Park: 340-774-0375
Website: friendsvinp.org Email: [email protected]
Help with beach clean-up, trail maintenance, restoring cultural sites, and much more.
6. American Red Cross of the Virgin Islands on St. Thomas: 340-774-0375
Upcoming public events that volunteers may be interested in while on St. John:
1. St John Rescue Town Hall Meeting: 3 p.m. Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at the Cleone H. Creque Legislative Conference Room at the St. John Legislature Annex in Cruz Bay
The public is invited to a reveal on the conceptual design of the new headquarters and operation base.
2. Get Trashed St. John public clean-up event: 10 a.m. Saturday, January 13, 2018 at the National Park Visitors Center Pavilion to clean up downtown Cruz Bay. Trash bags and gloves are provided. Please bring water and a hat. Details are at January Get Trashed!
3. Friends of Virgin Islands National Park Annual Meeting: 2 p.m. Sunday, January 21, 2018 at Trunk Bay. Shuttle service provided. Details are at Annual Meeting. Learn about accomplishments, plans, and hear talks given by the President and CEO of the National Wildlife Federation.
15 thoughts on “What You’ve Been Waiting For: Volunteer Opportunities”
Thanks Jenn. Great ideas !!!!!
Please, any news on the library? It is a little gem. I went there during our week on island after Christmas and it was closed up, with no info posted on the door. Looked like only minor exterior damage. The young man from the Animal Care Center across the street said he’d only seen one person go into the building since the hurricanes. The local materials collection is extensive, and I know that students from Sprauve School use the library, or did before the storms. Thanks for anything you can find out.
Any news about Margarita Phils?
please see her yesterday’s blog about the restaurants that are closed.
Margarita Phil’s has been open for a long time.
Do they need any donkey petters? If so I’m there!
I’m an architect, have had a license in USVI and could renew if there is a need. I could do considerable work at no cost if the project serves a social benefit.
So what are you waiting for ?
Books flight and help out !!!
David, we have a number of projects that could potentially use your help. Please contact me at [email protected] or 340-513-3495
Are there accommodations available for volunteers? My husband and I have some free time but not a lot money. We would love to sign up for any of these projects. We are ready able and willing to help!
Thanks for sharing our Volunteer Directory created by the St. John Recovery Team’s Volunteer Management Work Group! Please see more information for volunteers at stjangels.ngo. Soon, we will be matching volunteers to work projects. Regarding accommodations, we have leads for residents willing to provide lodging for volunteers. Please contact us at [email protected] for details.
Thanks Rachel! The housing part is such great news!
Thank you! I will get in touch ASAP!
I would like to know if the Nazareth Lutheran Church survived the storm and is it currently conducting worship services? I would like to send a donation to them.
My family and I are traveling to St. John the week of Thanksgiving 2018. We are so excited to return back to our favorite place in the world! While we are there, we are interested in volunteering our time on the island. Do you have recommendations or can put me in contact with the correct person or group that could be looking for help and volunteers some day during the week of Thanksgiving. We are happy to pass out meals, work with children, anything that we could do as a family to help.
Thank you, Brenda
Are these volunteer opportunities still up to date. I will be visiting in September and would like to take a few days to help out where needed.