Pictures: 27 Days After Irma

Last month, I posted photos that I captured four days after Hurricane Irma struck St. John. I went back and took the same photo last Saturday – 27 days after the storm. In some cases, there is a lot of hope, a lot of progress, a lot of green. In other cases, it illustrates the long road we still have ahead. Check out the pics:

Cruz Bay overlook

Just before entrance to Trunk Bay

Just before entrance to Trunk Bay – September 10

Entrance to Peter Bay

Entrance to Peter Bay – September 10

Peter Bay

Peter Bay

We recorded a GoPro video of North Shore road from the Virgin Islands National Park sign to Maho. We will share that with you all this weekend.

46 comments for “Pictures: 27 Days After Irma

1. Paul
    October 12, 2017 at 12:11 pm

We can’t wait to visit again.

• Heather Stanley
      October 12, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Love to see the green returning…..God bless you all….we will be back :-)

2. Wendy Cotton
    October 12, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Hi Jenn- do you give permission to use your photos for any posters or video for the purpose of a fundraiser?

Thank you!

October 12, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Please email me at jenn@newsofstjohn.com and I’ll send you a high resolution image. The ones on the website are small file sizes so they load fast on phones.

Please credit News of St John. Thanks!!

• Marcia
        October 12, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Thank you Jenn. I got this from a friend. My sister Sharon is in Coral Bay. Her home is gone, no generator or water. She said the one store there is super expensive and has no meats or other proteins and no produce. Also her bank isn’t open yet either and no power means no ATM. She said it is not good there at all and the people are being fed st the fire station in Coral Bay where she could text today cause sometimes she can’t. I think it goes in and out. I think it may be the Red Cross who are feeding the people out there but I heard they are leaving! Please send any info or pictures when you can. I thank you so much for these that you posted.
        Sincerely
        Marcia DiLiberti
        Maddog_0123@msn.com
        Or Facebook
        Thank you!

October 12, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Hello Marcia, yes, those are the Red Cross meals at the fire house but that is ending soon. Indigo is serving food too for free. Amazing people over there. Your comments are so true to what is happening over there. This is exactly why we are saying that tourists should not come back the second the power gets switched on. Our island needs more time to heal and rebuild.

• Sue Blake
            October 13, 2017 at 7:41 am

Thank you so much for these photos. I was there this summer and I’ve been two or three times. I absolutely love your Island. If I wanted to come down and help rebuild, is there work that I could do to help and any places I could stay or could I put up a tent somewhere out of the way?

• Hank
        October 12, 2017 at 7:52 pm

We have a trip planned for March 2018, we were there in February and had a great time. Wondering if you will be ready for visitors by March?

Thanks
        Hank

• Leslie
          October 13, 2017 at 11:45 am

I’m wondering the same thing as I have a trip planned for February.

3. Carol Jenks
    October 12, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Thank you for the updated photos. Amazing the amount of greenery that is now growing. There appears to be much work still to do, but it is so encouraging to see the progress! And it feels good to see things moving forward.

4. Andrea DeMatteis
    October 12, 2017 at 12:19 pm

wow, I can’t believe all of the green that has come back already!

5. Amy Cumberland
    October 12, 2017 at 12:20 pm

It’s so nice to see the green coming back! Thank you for sharing Jenn!

6. Julie
    October 12, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Seeing the green already coming back makes me very happy! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures!

7. Tom
    October 12, 2017 at 12:47 pm

I have a B.S. in Forestry from the University of Illinois. In tropical forest ecosystems hurricanes are very similar to the fires that occur in the western United States, the fire actually causes certain seeds to germinate that only can by fire.Also other plants that were dormant in the forest floor also bloom because the canopy of trees has been removed or reduced. I suspect that the flora and fauna will come back fairly rapidly and you may even see flowers that you haven’t seen before. Thanks for the photos nature is amazing in its ability to recover from these events!

• Keri LaMar
      October 12, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Really interesting, Tom, and very encouraging! Thanks for sharing your expertise. Between your comment and Jenn’s photos, I’m feeling so much more optimistic – and even excited – about the island’s recovery, and renewal! x

8. Caryn
    October 12, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Since my visit this summer I have been following your posts. I’m so glad the green is coming back. When I returned home I told everyone that St John is heaven. I can’t wait to get back. Thank you Jen for your posts.

9. Linda Reen
    October 12, 2017 at 12:58 pm

New growth is filling in quickly. Looking more beautiful every day!

10. Lynn
    October 12, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to record the progress.
    I’m amazed at how much greenery there is.
    You’re correct in your assessment of good and bad,let’s focus on the good and soon come the bad will become good!

11. Marcia
    October 12, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated!!❤️

12. kari
    October 12, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Thank you so much for the continued updates! Great to see the green of the island returning.

13. Denice
    October 12, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Thanks so much for keeping all of us informed. It is so great to see the green coming back! Can’t wait to return.

14. Donna Jenkins
    October 12, 2017 at 1:47 pm

So great to see the new beautiful green coming back so soon!! Rebirth !! Will be more beautiful than before!

15. Steven Jackson
    October 12, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Great work on the pictures Jenn. Maybe we can get Kenny Chesney to do a telethon for St John on the “official” last day of the 2017 Hurricane season (Thursday November 30th). Look forward to staying somewhere on the island first week of Feb 2018

16. Mark Westray
    October 12, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Thanks Jenn. The pictures are encouraging. Would love to come help with the recovery effort!

17. Kelly Cone
    October 12, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Thank you so much for the info!!!!!!!!!

18. Wayne
    October 12, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Nature healing itself…Thanks for sharing.

19. Cara
    October 12, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Thanks so much for your diligence with these updates! Sending thoughts and prayers to you all, and I look forward to returning to the island when you are back up and running.

20. Dale Cassidy
    October 12, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Love these! I hope you do it in another month as well. Nice job.

21. Sarah Anderson
    October 12, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Nice to see the green. I just now figured out what freaks me out / looks so wrong about the trees stripped of foliage (in addition to the devastation it indicates): it looks LIKE WINTER. My brain can’t process that.

22. Diane adam
    October 12, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Thanks Jenn for these pictures. So happy to see green! Can’t wait to come back. Lots of love and prayers to all on St. John.

23. Deb Finnemore
    October 12, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Thank you, the green returning to the island are certainly encouraging!

24. Christine Grem
    October 12, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Wow looks like St John is ready for company

25. Ann
    October 12, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Jenn, thank you so much for the photos! As you can see we are all very happy to see the green and see nature take its course. This is a good thing you are doing, keeping the world abreast of the challenges and needs and progress on St. John post Irma.

26. Tom A
    October 12, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Jenn

Thanks so much for the new photos. While we are all happy to see the green coming back, recovery is much more than leaves on the trees. Please remind people that so much more needs to be done before tourists return, no matter how much they want to help. We would love to help in any way we can but will wait until the island heals enough to accept new visitors.

27. Candace
    October 12, 2017 at 9:07 pm

So glad to see photos of the island all green again!
    We have a trip planned for March of 2018, and hope that the island will be ready for tourist by then.

28. Larry
    October 12, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Jenn for sharing your island, your world, with us each day. We look forward to the day when tourism is back in full swing and you can make a living with your weekly blog and the business advertisers to support your work and your love of it.
    We’re curious about Kekoa, it’s owner and his family and crew–hope they are all OK.

29. Janet
    October 12, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Thanks so much for these updates. St. John and the people there are in our minds every single day. We were supposed to come in January for another visit (16years) now but sadly realize our island and it’s people won’t be ready for us.
    Loved seeing and reading about the new growth on the island, it truly gives everyone HOPE.
    ❤️❤️❤️

30. Rhonda McCay
    October 13, 2017 at 1:21 am

Thank you so much Jenn for the photos. It gives my heart such joy and hope. Xo

31. Don J Hooligane
    October 13, 2017 at 2:00 am

WE HAVE A TRIP PLANNED FOR MARCH FOR CORAL BAY. ANYONE KNOW IF COCOLOBO AND OASIS RESTAURANT WILL BE OPEN BY THE? We don’t rent a car and like to walk to these businesses in Coral Bay. We might cancel if nothing is open.

32. Barry Raley
    October 13, 2017 at 8:16 am

Thanks for posting, Jen! This not only shows the green returning, but also shows the great cleanup on the roads!

33. DAN SCIANDRA
    October 13, 2017 at 11:27 am

I love visiting St. Johns (it’s the best of USVI & BVI) and hope your recovery is as quick as humanly possible. I’m looking forward to seeing it again.

34. Leslie & Renzo
    October 13, 2017 at 11:48 am

Thank you so much for the photos. It wonderful to see so much growth in such a very short time.
    I have a trip to St. John planned for early February, and will be keeping a very close eye on your lovely site. Thank you so much for the updates. Please keep them coming!

35. Debbie U
    October 13, 2017 at 6:05 pm

I was only talking about you all today to my husband. We were on the Island for two weeks in August – one of many visits because we so love St. John. We can’t wait to come back but will wait until you feel we tourists won’t be in the way of St. John’s recovery. Love the photos. Thank you for sharing. Hawksnest is our fav beach. Did the sea grape trees survive? And the iguanas?

36. Tom
    October 16, 2017 at 5:11 am

If only man could do for the infrastructure what nature is doing for its part!

37. CSanders
    October 25, 2017 at 8:12 am

Than you soooo much! You have really been a lifeline of comprehensive information on our beloved STJ for all of us on the main land. Videos and photos provided today awesome!

38. Stacy
    November 4, 2017 at 8:24 am

I’m so happy to see my home is improving gradually considering the eye of Irma sat on us and the BVI. Tourist who have their reservations made for next year to visit needs to understand, my home needs to heal. St. John is not ready to receive guest yet. We are a strong people, we are a RESILIENT people, we will REBUILD, we will RECOVER. This to shall pass by the GRACE of God….. #LOVECITYSTRONG