Hey everyone, happy Wednesday! So we admit that we’re a tad late to the party on today’s story, but we thought it’s something you’d all be interested in.
So a few months back, we mentioned to you how a person came forward in Hansen Bay and stated he was the owner of the stretch of beach commonly used by locals and tourists for snorkeling, sunbathing, swimming and overall R&R. We also told you how he erected a fence, put up some barbed wire, a makeshift little hut and basically blocked public beach access. We then mentioned, about a month later, how the barbed wire was removed and everything was back to normal.
Well since that last post in April, the fence had been put up again, and removed, and put up again, and removed… So much was happening over there in terms of beach access that we simply couldn’t keep up. Well today we’d like to tell you that the powers that be have stepped in and are trying to rectify the situation. The owner, however, is fighting them. Here are the details…
The Department of Planning and Natural Resources issued a Notice of Violation (NOA) against Elroy Ashtain stating he constructed “an unpermitted wooden structure” and a fence earlier this year. As a result, Mr. Ashtain was was fined $10,000, told to cease any further development and was also ordered to remove all structures from the property.
That didn’t happen.
It was also noted in the NOA that “the respondent claims to be the owner of the property, however true ownership of the property is uncertain at this time.”
Mr. Ashtain responded and requested a formal hearing on the matter. Here is his response in which he likens territory laws to “cob webs”:
A hearing date has yet to be scheduled. We’ll keep you all posted on this one…