Hello everyone and happy Thursday! Here are the latest updates we are receiving from St. John:
- The Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas reopened to commercial flights today!! American Airlines and Delta have one flight each to and from St. Thomas. Cape Air is also expected to resume flights between St. Thomas and St. Croix on Saturday. Travelers should contact the airlines directly for flight schedules.
- According to Matt Gyuraki, internet is getting better everyday. He posted the following on his Facebook page: Out with the old… in with the new! Thanks to Bret Jefferson Christmas came early! St John getting state of the art internet backhaul! Speeds should increase and be a bit more stable. Now we just need solve this generator hick up! Off grid power soon come!
- And here is the official word on communications from the St. John Community Foundation: Although not evident (tomorrow) due to a damaged main cable, people in both Coral Bay and Cruz Bay will be getting improved communications, as they repair the damaged cable and work on setting up new IT equipment that came in today; they will focus on south side of island next week. Matt Gyuraki, Will Culver, Pono, VINGN, VIYA and others are helping make this happen.
- NY Troopers were on the ground in Coral Bay and Cruz Bay; there have been incidents that make both increased need for security and communication vital. … They received a permanent donation of 12 ham radios from C-core and are looking for help connecting the radios across island.
- Christian Day School got a new roof today and they plan to start school Monday – once again volunteers and Love4Love City supported teams in action all around town.
Again many thanks to Celia and the St. John Community Foundation for working tirelessly for the benefit of our community.
16 thoughts on “Thursday, Sept. 28th Update”
Thank you for all the info on Coral Bay!
So Happy with the positive reports coming from St. John . “Slow and Steady wins the Race!!! “
❤️ coming your way Connie & Bill Avalon, NJ
Yes it does
Barbara of Avalon NJ is also coming your way joining Connie & Bill. ❤️STJ
Great news! My fiancé and I are looking forward to our first visit to St. John in January for our honeymoon. ♡
Wonderful memories of our honeymoon 25 years ago. St. John holds a special place in our family. We’ve been back almost yearly since and look forward to our future visits. God bless!
How can I get information about “adopting/sponsoring a family” SPECIFIC to St. John?
Mary Ardizzone, if you get an answer to this question, please let me know.
Know anyone who can rent a little storage space in or around Cruz Bay?
Thanks so much for sharing your stories here. My family (7 of us) came to St. John for the first time in January 2017 – only for two days. We fell in love with the island. It’s beautiful – and its beauty will certainly return. Thanks for pointing us also to St. John Community Foundation. Our donation went in today via PayPal. Can’t wait to return to St. John!
I read your updates EVERY day and am consistently impressed with the progress. I feel like a cheerleader with Pom-poems! I get so excited to read of positive progress! Living in New Orleans, hurricanes are no stranger to me, but my beautiful St. John got hammered! We had another trip there scheduled for next week but Mother Nature said no go. We will be scheduling another trip first of the year though and can’t wait to be among the positive people full of love! Thank you for the up to date of Cruz Bay today! I saw green! Yay!
Is there/will there be any attempt to organize volunteers willing to come to St. John for a working vacation as flights increase?
Please let me know if you hear anything related to volunteering/working vacations. I want to get involved with the recovery efforts besides having donated money.
You can sign up to volunteer for Virgin Islands national park and cinnamon bay here: https://cinnamonbayresort.com/hurricane-irma-volunteer-sign-up/
Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster also has a volunteer sign up page here: https://voad.communityos.org/volunteer-registration-usvi-irma