Here’s what we know about Tropical Storm Erika:
- The Virgin Islands is currently under a tropical storm warning. As of 11 a.m., TS Erika is 285 miles east/southeast of Antigua. It is moving west at 17 miles per hour and has maximum sustained winds of 45 miles per hour.
- TS Erika is expected to reach the Virgin Islands tomorrow.
- The storm is expected to drop three to five inches of rain with maximum amounts of eight inches in portions of the territory.
- As of 11 a.m., the ports remain open and the passenger ferries and car barges are running. The VI Port Authority just posted on its Facebook page that they are currently meeting to discuss preparations.
- Love City Car Ferries (car barge) will make its last run today from St. John at 4 p.m. It will make its last run today from St. Thomas at 5 p.m. It also announced that it will not be operating at all tomorrow.
- As of 11 a.m., American Airlines, Delta and Sprit are all offering fee waivers for flights happening within the next few days.
Again, here are the sites to watch in the event that we receive a tropical storm or hurricane:
- US Virgin Islands Tropical Weather Station: This is a Facebook page with weather forecasters who are located here in the Virgin islands.
- St. John VI Weather: This is another great Facebook page with an expert who is based here in the Virgin Islands.
- VITEMA: This is the Virgin Islands’ Emergency Management Agency. You can find them on Facebook here or online here. You can sign up to receive VITEMA alerts via email or by text.
- Virgin Islands Port Authority: VIPA will keep you informed on whether the ports and airport remain open or are closed due to a storm. You can find them on Facebook here or online here.