Update: All ports will close at 8 a.m. Tuesday.
As of 11 a.m. this morning, the US Virgin Islands is now under a Hurricane Watch. According to the National Hurricane Center, “a Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area. A watch is typically issued 48 hours before the anticipated first occurrence of tropical-storm-force winds, conditions that make outside preparations difficult or dangerous.”
Here are the “Key Messages” from the 11 a.m. advisory:
1. Irma is expected to affect the northeastern Leeward Islands as a dangerous major hurricane, accompanied by life-threatening wind, storm surge, and rainfall impacts, along with rough surf and rip currents. Hurricane warnings have been issued for portions of the Leeward Islands. Preparations should be rushed to completion, as tropical-storm force winds are expected to first arrive in the hurricane warning area by late Tuesday.
2. Irma could directly affect the British and U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as a dangerous major hurricane later this week. Hurricane watches have been issued for these areas, and tropical- storm-force winds could arrive in these areas by early Wednesday.
Here is when we can expect to feel the effects of Hurricane Irma:
I was just on a call with the disaster relief operations. They are looking for volunteers. Most importantly, they are looking for people will to volunteer in shelters and help with feeding. If you are willing and able, please email [email protected]. Please send him the following information:
- You name
- Phone and email
- Whether or not you are a current volunteer or whether you are interested in volunteering
- What position are you able to volunteer for
- Are you willing to work in a shelter
Stay safe St. John.
14 thoughts on “St. John Now Under Hurricane Watch”
oh my goodness! Be safe everyone.
Our prayers are with you all.
Fly you fools!
Flights sold out. For days. We’re not fools. But you are for posting this.
Linda and I’s thoughts and prayer are with you all.
Stay safe all, and let us know what you need. Sending Love
it looks like the watch has been upgraded to a warning. Stay safe.
Praying and thinking of you all so much!
Praying for you all. Especially you, our dear daughter. Stay safe.
Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. Please stay safe. So looking forward to hearing you are on the right side of the storm.
Please be safe. Life is precious. Our prayers are with you.
God Bless this beautiful island, it’s people and it’s animals. We are praying for you here in Connecticut.
I don’t think the “Fly you fools!” comment was meant to be offensive.
Maybe an attempt at humor from a Lord of the Rings fan.
Stay safe. See you in February.
God bless and protect you Maria, Rivit, Oso, and all of your dear friends. We love you.