Well folks, it’s almost my favorite time of year here on island … Festival! For those of you unfamiliar with Festival, it’s a month-long event that begins each June with steel pan performances and pageants and builds up to the week of July 3rd – Emancipation Day – and the 4th – Independence Day. That final week is when the major parties happen at the village and my personal favorite – the parade.
A Festival Food Sale Food Fair will kick off this year’s events on Sunday, May 21st at 1 p.m. Here’s the rest of the schedule:
- June 4th: Pan-O-Rama at 4 p.m.
- June 18th: Bike Race at 8 a.m. and Musical Mix at 8 p.m.
- June 19th: Princess Pageant at 6 p.m,
- June 25th: Queen Pageant at 8 p.m.
- June 26th: Food Fair and Coronation, and Boat Races at 3 p.m.
- June 28th: Festival Village Opens at 7 p.m.; the Children’s Village opens at 6 p.m.
- July 3rd: Emancipation Day Program at 1 p.m.; Poker Run at 12 p.m.; and Horse Races (on St. Thomas) at 1 p.m.
- July 4th: J’ouvert at sunrise; Parade at 11 a.m.; Fireworks at 9 p.m.
I can’t wait!!! Here’s a video we took of last’s year parade: