It’s all happening at the St. Thomas airport

The main runway is being resurfaced.

Airport

Photos via the VI Port Authority newsletter

 The $8.9 million  project began in February. The work may continue through March, 2014. It's being done betwen 11 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. so as not to disrupt airport operations.

The first three phases will consist of replacing apron and taxiway asphalt pavement with a 12-inch reinforced concrete pavement including under drain, marking, lighting and other associated work. The FAA will pay 90 percent of the cost. The remaining 10 percent will be funded by the Port Authority.

In addition, the road leading to the airport has recently been resurfaced by the Dept. of Public Works.

Ramp
The Port Authority also spent about $52,000 to acquire a passenger boarding ramp to accommodate passengers with boarding or deplaning needs.  The BAR 35 machine provides mechanical stairs and a lift for travelers, specifically those needing wheelchair access. Airlines have to request use of the ramp for which they will be charged $100, according to the Authority’s newsletter.

1 thought on “It’s all happening at the St. Thomas airport”

Leave a Comment