Today’s story is pretty short and sweet. But for those of you who like Maho, you are going to love it!
1. The road, which was washed out during Irma, has been completely repaired. This means that there is now two-lane traffic all along the beach. Woohoo!
2. The large potholes have been repaired too. Woohoo times two!
3. The parking lot is pretty much completed, and is now open. Woohoo times three! I checked it out late Monday, and it looked like it needed a little touching up here and there, but overall, it looked great.
4. There are some shady spots along the beach. Sure we lost a good deal of shade at Maho, but it is possible to find a bit if you tuck yourselves under a tree branch or two.
5. The palm trees that were planted by some of our amazing residents are doing well. They do need fresh water to continue growing, so please help them out if you are in the area.
6. And this may be the best part for many of you… There are so many turtles!! I easily see a dozen, if not more, pop up their heads every time I visit Maho.
Check out all of these photos…
19 thoughts on “Great News from Maho!”
Woohoo four: St. John is on the upswing for sure. LovedLee Ann’s turtle photo.
Thanks for a great start to my morning Jenn!
This is great news! Maho is one of our favorite beaches! Looking forward to returning in the future!
Thank you, Jenn, for making each of our mornings so very pleasant. You are a refreshing change after “Morning Joe”.
We are booked for March, 2019. Can’t wait to see you again!
Oh, thank you for the update, Jen! I love watching the positive progress. Great start to my morning as well. That turtle shot, WOW! So many beaches I never got to explore on my last trip in 2005, but I’m making a list for November!
We were there for twelve days…..everything is looking so good. We finally saw turtles and a sting ray last week at Francis Bay. So glad to see so many restaurants opened and of course the food was delicious!! We took another day trip with Island Roots, our grand children had so much fun snorkeling! It was a fabulous vacation…..so glad we decided to come!!!
Where did you stay???
So glad to hear this news my favorite beach, can’t wait to return
This is so awesome! I know I will have a moment of shock when I come around the curve to Maho for the first time in June…. It’s going to be different, but I have a feeling it will still be just as stunningly beautiful, and no doubt still my most favorite place on EARTH! Thanks for posting, I love this site and your information. Read everyday!
Heading down this Thursday from CT!!! can’t wait to be there. It snowed again yesterday………..oh and a little this morning.
Appreciate the update. So happy to see my favorite spot looking beautiful once again.
Great news! Love the updates! See you in 20 days!!
That’s sensational news, Maho is my crews favorite tranquil spot on the island!
Yay! Yay!! Yay!!!
I’m curious about the palms that were planted at Maho. Were these shoots from existing STJ trees? Last I knew, the NPS forbid anyone planting anything on park lands that wasn’t native. Can you do an update to let us know? Thanks!
We planted a sprouted coconut we found there on the beach. I assume that’s what everyone else has done as well.
The improvements of the parking lot at Maho was funded by Friends of VI National Park with the generous support of Jon Stryker. Cross Island Builders were the contractors for the project and did an excellent job.
Thanks for the info! Great job done by all!!
So it looks like the house structure on Maho didn’t survive. That used to be my grandparents house back in the 70’s. Sub amazing memories from there. Sigh.