There are lots of positive things happening on St. John. Here is what we know in no particular order…
- First Bank opened yesterday
- Mail service resumed yesterday
- Bruce Twyon, owner of Southern Hospitality, picked up 25 NY State Troopers and assisted with transporting personnel, equipment and other supplies needed at the St. John Clinic yesterday.
- Kenny Chesney helped evacuate more St. John residents yesterday.
- Sun Dog Cafe, Hercules and Chester’s are open.
- Community happy hour happening at The Tap Room on Fridays.
- E&C gas is open; NPS dock opens from 8-12 for response workers and at noon for the general public.
- The ferries and car barge are running, but on a limited schedule.
- The St. Thomas airport is expected to reopen this week.
- Gifft Hill School is open and providing free education to all children. JESS hopes to reopen by mid-October.
- The basketball court and playground in Cruz Bay have been cleared thanks to volunteers.
- Pink Papaya is open.
- Chelsea Drug Store is open.
- Starfish Market, Dolphin Market, Pine Peace Market, Calabash Market are all open.
- The health clinic at the Marketplace is open.
- St. John Hardware and Paradise Lumber are open.
- St. John Ice is open.
- Caravan Auto is open.
- WAPA has executed agreements for a first phase of 240 linemen to assist with the Territory’s reconstruction with more on the way.
- Food distribution from noon-3pm at JESS ballfield and at the Fire Station in Coral Bay. Cruz Bay Landing, Longboard supported by Red Cross to serve up to 1,000 meals per day; 420, Indigo Grill, Dog House and others providing supportive service.
- The Westin and Caneel both have potable water.
A BIG thanks to Celia and the St. John Community Foundation for compelling a large portion of this list.
Those hurricanes were strong, but St. John is stronger. Much love to you all.