Sneak Peek: The New Tiki Bar & Food Truck at Maho

Maho Bay, Monday afternoon

Maho Bay, Monday afternoon

Back in December, we told you how the commercially zoned property located across from Maho Bay sold and that there were plans to open a small tiki bar and food truck on site. Well lots of work has been happening on the property over the past month-and-a-half, and the new business is set to open in a couple of weeks.

Rather than tell you what’s been happening at the site, we’d like to show you. So please check out these pics and video we took earlier this week:

The food truck

The food truck

The tiki bar

The tiki bar

Alternate view of the tiki bar

Alternate view of the tiki bar

Seating

Seating among several baby coconut palms

Additional seating

Additional seating

The property is using solar power

The property is using solar power

The very cool looking cart on site

The very cool looking cart on site

The view

The view

Be Kind = Words to live by.

Be Kind = Words to live by.

Petroglyph tree stump

This petroglyph-shaped tree stump was found on the property. Image credit: Maho Crossroads

I’m not sure about all of you, but I think this looks pretty cool. Yes, I wish that this parcel was not zoned commercial and was part of the National Park. But that’s not the case. I am happy with what the owners are creating, and I am excited to try it out. I really like the fact that they didn’t simply clear the land to make room for the new bar and food truck. Instead, they removed the dead trees and left everything that made it through the storms, including many small coconut palms that are growing out of coconuts.

The owners are waiting for a final inspection, and they expect to open within the next few weeks. We’ll let you know when that happens. In the meantime, have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

23 comments for “Sneak Peek: The New Tiki Bar & Food Truck at Maho

1. Kathy in Wisconsin
    January 30, 2019 at 8:18 am

I am reading this where the air temperature is -21 and the windchill, -51. It is hard to imagine beaches and palm trees as I debate exactly WHEN I will get out from under my warm blankets, but thank you for the fantasy. My favorite thing is the tree stump/petroglyph. We’ll be back on island March 10! Love to St John and St Johnians!

• julie
      January 30, 2019 at 8:47 am

Stay warm and safe Kathy! Been reading about the record cold there. Sending warm thoughts from balmy Boston!

2. Gina (in Wisconsin too)
    January 30, 2019 at 8:35 am

I hear ya Kathy, except I had to go to work so I am out of the blankets already. Post office is closed but not my retail-based distribution center. -25 on my car thermostat, last I heard -49 WC.

Love the tree stump!! Back on St. John March 1st!! :)

3. Capt Doug
    January 30, 2019 at 8:44 am

Have they provided any additional Parking spots on the property??

January 30, 2019 at 9:17 am

Yes, there is a sign that says parking for guests.

• Dan Benyi (Parafins)
        January 31, 2019 at 11:21 pm

They rent Kayaks? I wonder if they let you go out the Whistling Cay like Maho Camps did?

4. julie
    January 30, 2019 at 8:46 am

Looks terrific! Very thoughtfully done in harmony with the place. I wear my petroglyph everyday. I always wonder if there is some mystical meaning to it- what did it symbolize? I have heard everything from it representing the human skull and symbolized the honoring of late ancestors to being an ancient depiction of an alien space visitor in a space helmet. Maybe we’ll never know.

• Puddin Tame
      February 6, 2019 at 3:37 pm

That particular petroglyph similar to the tree represents bat nostrils. Bats were believed to be deceased ancestors, living near the waterfalls and flying after dark.

I learned this in a conversation with Ken Wild, archaeologist for the US National Park Service. The USVI NP web page has articles about this under the history and culture tab.

5. Bob
    January 30, 2019 at 10:54 am

We know that progress is a good thing, but for some (not all) of us long time visitors (50+years), this type of island invasion (we know it’s private land) does real damage to Maho’s visual appeal.

• Tom
      January 30, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Will reserve my final opinion until we return in April, but it looks to me like it is being very tastefully done. The visual appeal on that side of the North Shore road always left much to be desired. Just my two cents.

• Travis Baseden
      January 31, 2019 at 9:57 am

as a matter of fact.. you wouldn’t be enjoying Maho for the last 50 years at all if it weren’t for an actual invasion (several actually)… just adding perspective.

6. Eduardo
    January 30, 2019 at 12:26 pm

re: petroglyph, could that be where the Tainos got it from? so cool. Happy to see the horizontal palms, have any of the seagrape trees bounced back? last I recall in August 2018 the branches were still blanched; I od hope there is some hope for them. ever think about getting a drone for some aerial shots?

7. Theresa J McKinney
    January 30, 2019 at 12:50 pm

I am personally very happy to see what has been done here. The dead trees are such a depressing sight, and the ability to add some fun stuff near Maho is a silver lining for me. I love the new kayak stand right on sight too!

8. January 30, 2019 at 12:51 pm

• Travis Baseden
      January 31, 2019 at 10:00 am

yes. I agree… I was there last Feb and it looked like Kong had come through. Still one of the best places on earth, glad to see it coming back

9. Steven Palmer
    January 30, 2019 at 3:20 pm

I think it looks funky and very St. John. They seem to be making an effort to fit in with the environment rather than to dominate. It could have been so much worse. Over the years I’ve sometimes been horrified by questionable development.

10. Elizabeth
    January 30, 2019 at 6:12 pm

I think it looks cool and very carefully planned and executed. It reminds me of a beloved beach bar on St Maarten called Karakter that served food and drinks out of an old bus. Hope it is open when we come late February. Also probably employs 4+ locals

11. Lisa
    January 30, 2019 at 8:03 pm

I think it looks great. It is a lot better than what was there after the hurricane. So happy to see the greenery and my favorite beach in the world. I do miss all of the trees at Maho, that is what made it so special. Those beautiful trees hanging over the beach. Maybe someday more trees can be planted there. Thanks for the pictures!

12. Maggie Coggswell
    January 31, 2019 at 11:54 am

Hi Jen!
    Woody’s closed yesterday
    Does anyone know why?

January 31, 2019 at 6:08 pm

Some internal things going on. Should be open tomorrow!

13. James Rogers
    January 31, 2019 at 12:49 pm

At first I thought that it might be too much. Years ago, Maho wasn’t nearly as popular as it has become. As people finally realized what they were missing, the crowd grew, parking spots were all taken,…etc.
    I recently booked our first trip back to STJ in 5 years. Was worried about how I’d feel seeing how my favorite place on earth was affected by the hurricanes. I’m truly hoping that they are successful, and somehow help take my mind off of how the landscape has changed. Looking forward to visiting!

14. frank ruggirello
    February 21, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Selfishly, I regret anything that adds to crowds at Maho, but it looks like it has been nicely done. Will see for ourselves on May 1!