An Update on the Car Barges: Down to One

captain vic

The Captain Vic is out of service until further notice… File photo

Ok folks, so this is going to be super short and super sweet today… Please rent your vehicles on St John.

Prior to the storms, we had four barges. We lost two, which means we only have two to service both islands. Well the General 2 was offline for bit as it underwent its annual Coast Guard inspection. It’s back up and running, but now the Captain Vic is out of service “until further notice.” That does not sound good.

This means that we currently have one, just one, barge to transport vehicles between St. John and St. Thomas. This means we have one barge to take the trash off of St. John, to deliver much needed fuel and groceries to St. John. It means we only have one barge to transport supplies needed to help us rebuild. I could go on and on, but I won’t.

So I understand that you sometimes can save money by renting on St. Thomas. But please believe me when I say it is not worth the hassle. In addition, that rental vehicle is taking up a space which should be reserved for transporting necessities, not for pleasure and convenience.Thanks so much all, and have a  great day!

6 comments for “An Update on the Car Barges: Down to One

1. Bill
    October 2, 2018 at 6:45 pm

St John Car Rental always works for us!

2. Rich
    October 4, 2018 at 11:12 am

Is this STJ propoganda?

• Daphne
      October 6, 2018 at 12:52 pm

No, this is not propaganda. The delivery truck finally bringing our replacement windows for our villa had to wait in line for 8 hours on Wednesday. Another delivery truck gave up after 6 hours. So we don’t know when we’ll get those supplies.

• Joyce Handley
      October 9, 2018 at 4:57 pm

Seriously?????

3. Michael Barry
    October 8, 2018 at 7:25 am

When I think of all the help we were given after the hurricanes, I am very grateful. I wonder though, what would help the St. John community more than another barge or two? So much has been done for private concerns, which is great, but the barges are a lifeline for our economy and along with the clinic still our largest need.

4. Michael
    October 8, 2018 at 8:26 am

This is sound advice. The last thing Villa guests need/want after a long day of travel is to wait in line at the car barge for several hours.