Pictures: 10 Months Later

Well folks, today marks 10 months since Hurricane Irma swept through St. John. As you know, some areas have seen more progress than others. Many areas of North Shore look great, as does the Cruz Bay side of the island. Coral Bay still needs some time to heal, and they also need a fair amount of rain to green up their hillsides. The Cruz Bay side fortunately has received a good amount of rain lately and is so green! Check out these pics that our friend Leah Randall Hanson, owner of Flyaway Charters, took for us earlier this week:

Cruz Bay overlook

Cruz Bay overlook – September 2017

Cruz Bay looking inland

Cruz Bay looking inland – September 2017

Virgin Islands National Park sign - North Shore Road

Virgin Islands National Park sign – North Shore Road – September 2017

Just past the sign - you can now see Caneel Bay

Just past the sign – September 2017

Caneel Bay - Zozo's

Caneel Bay – Zozo’s – September 2017

Entrance to Caneel Bay

Entrance to Caneel Bay – September 2017

July 2018 (Their grass is green again! Thanks for mowing Caneel!!)

July 2018 (Their grass is green again! Thanks for mowing Caneel!!)

Beach sign in front of Caneel Bay entrance

Easter Rock

Easter Rock – September 2017

Ferry dock from beach

Ferry dock from beach – September 2017

CRUZ BAY BEACH 3

July 2018 – Cruz Bay beach

Seriously, how amazing do these pics look??!!

I want to extend a BIG thank you to Leah for taking these pics for us! If you’re coming to St. John and looking for a day out on the water, please check out Flyaway Charters. They’re based in Coral Bay, and their specialty (according to me!) is taking guests to some of the most amazing snorkel spots around St. John. You can find them online at www.flyawaychartersvi.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/flyawaycharters

Have a great day everyone!

23 comments for “Pictures: 10 Months Later

1. Kim
    July 6, 2018 at 9:50 am

Any updates on low season closings? We will be on island the first week of October, and are ready to boost the economy as much as possible! :)

2. Sarah
    July 6, 2018 at 10:00 am

I have been following your posts on Facebook every day. Thank you so much for keeping all of us who have a special place in our hearts for St. John. We are counting down the days as we arrive on 7/29 for a 10 night stay in Coral Bay!

3. Debbie
    July 6, 2018 at 10:17 am

Would like to visit. Looking for suggestions for places to stay , road conditions and car rental info.

July 6, 2018 at 10:25 am

Thank you for wanting to visit!! For places to stay, check out the ads on our site. They are in the right and left columns if viewing on a desktop computer. If we accepted them as an advertiser, we stand by them 100%. :) We have everything from small villas and condos to luxury villas and larger resorts. For rental cars, we love St. John Car Rental. Road conditions are fine. Just remember, you drive on the left on St. John.

• Susie
      July 6, 2018 at 10:33 am

Road conditions are great!! Just got back and honestly it looks so lovely! The land has such an amazing ability to,heal. We rented from St. John car rental and it was great! We stayed in a villa called ginger thomas which is part of mandavilla estates and it was fantastic.

4. Taylor Novak
    July 6, 2018 at 10:28 am

Oh these new pictures make my heart so, so happy to see all the green again! Almost looks back to normal again! Praying for even more rain in the next few weeks for the whole island!

5. Laurie
    July 6, 2018 at 10:32 am

Seeing the pics from 2017 still gives me that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, and brings tears to my eyes. 192 days until we are there again.

• Susie
      July 6, 2018 at 10:34 am

You will cry. But it looks great! Coral bay is a bit rough still

6. Joe
    July 6, 2018 at 10:35 am

Wow, it appears you guys have gotten rain in the last month or so, everything looks a LOT greener than it did during the June ‘9 months later’ photo updates. NICE! Can’t wait to be back for Thanksgiving! :)

7. Linda Amme
    July 6, 2018 at 10:38 am

It’s been a long and winding road since one year ago. Well done, St. John. You’re looking good, and we love you!

8. Roman O’Reilly
    July 6, 2018 at 10:52 am

Wow I can’t believe what utter devastation happened on St. John. I went there when I was a kid with my folks and am looking to go back. We stayed at Cinnamon campground. Hope that’s still open. I’m going to bring some rope to tie me down so I won’t get blown away if a major hurricane hits while I’m in my tent.

• karen
      July 9, 2018 at 8:56 am

I’m sorry to tell you that Cinnamon Bay campground has not reopened and there is no indication that it will any time soon. A path has been cleared to the beach but everything else is off limits.

9. Jersey George
    July 6, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for the pix, especially the Trunk Bay overlook photo!
    Looking forward to my entire family vacation on beautiful STJ the first two weeks of December.
    Great updates, Jenn….. really appreciated! :) :) :)

10. Joshua Duerkson
    July 6, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Looks like a lot of those ‘killer’ coconut trees were deneutered. Thank goodness we’re all safe now!

July 7, 2018 at 10:40 am

What I would do for a killer coconut… I haven’t had a piece of fresh coconut since before the storms.

11. Donna Krueger
    July 6, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Looking for information about homes that were managed by Private Homes VI. I have made several attempts to contact them with no answer. We renting from them for many years and was wondering the status of their homes. Our favorite is Soft WInds and we would love to come again soon. Any news would be appreciated.

July 7, 2018 at 10:39 am

I’m sorry but I do not have any info on that.

12. Jheri Curl
    July 7, 2018 at 10:11 am

Beryl this weekend… humbug

July 7, 2018 at 10:38 am

As of this morning, it is tracking south of the USVI.

13. Sandra Beckman
    July 8, 2018 at 9:51 am

What is the snorkeling like? Were the reefs badly damaged? Can you get to the Caneel Bay public beaches for snorkeling? Would love to book a trip there for the winter if the snorkeling is good.

14. Darrell Habisch
    July 9, 2018 at 10:16 am

Wow! What a difference from when I was there last year. I miss St. John and all you wonderful people!

July 9, 2018 at 10:35 am

Darrell!! I’m so glad you’re still reading the site. Come back and visit us!!

Darrell works for FEMA everyone and we love him!!