Kenny Chesney Surprises Audience on St. John

Image credit: Yelena Rogers Photography

Image credit: Yelena Rogers Photography

Well folks, if you were lucky enough to be on St. John Wednesday night and happened to be at Mongoose Junction, you were in for quite the treat! Kenny Chesney stopped by the Wednesday Night Jam at Sun Dog Cafe to perform one of his hits – Old Blue Chair.

Our friend Yelena Rogers, an amazing photographer here on island, was at Sun Dog Wednesday night and captured the following video:

Kenny performed just the one song Wednesday night, and we have to say, the whole thing is quite incredible. As many of you probably know, Kenny has been instrumental in St. John’s recovery following two category five hurricanes last fall. He set up the Love for Love City Foundation before the final winds of Irma even left the island. The Foundation’s accomplishments ever since are simply remarkable. We wrote about them back in January. Click here to check that out.

We had the privilege of seeing firsthand the work that the Love For Love City Foundation was doing back in October, less than one month after the hurricanes hit. Click here and here to read those stories.

And a big thanks again to Yelena for capturing this video. To learn more about Yelena and to see some of her work, please visit www.yelenarogersphoto.com

22 comments for “Kenny Chesney Surprises Audience on St. John

1. Patrice
    February 28, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Kenny’s the best. So thankful he’s there for ya’ll.

2. Tony Sofia
    March 1, 2018 at 1:11 am

So incredible what Kenny has done for St John! That place means the world to so many of us! Kenny you rock and my wife loves you

3. Dawn Janssen
    March 1, 2018 at 7:44 am

I’ll be back on Love for Love City to donate more…Kenny’s continued support will bring our Lovely Island back! And Jost, also! What an unexpected Surprise for sure!

4. Kori
    March 1, 2018 at 9:31 am

This is first class and am so grateful for everything Kenny has done for STJ. Can’t wait to get back to Love City! 92 days! I think I’ll go pack now!

5. John
    March 1, 2018 at 10:08 am

Wonderful!!! Gives me chills to watch. I stood in that very spot two weeks ago, sang and played with Lauren and the band. Great back-up vocals and harmony by Lauren!!
    We will be back next February!!

• Marilyn
      March 1, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Hey John…you bet, Kenny Chesney was fabulous! Lauren and Rob were delighted to
      be a part of his surprise concert! They did a great job! St John is blessed to have him help with the returning to life of our fabulous island! See you back in February!

6. Derrick sims
    March 1, 2018 at 10:29 am

Can’t wait to see him in Raleigh NC this summer. St Johns is my happy place! I love the people there and I’m so happy that Kenny has done so much for Hurricane relief in the Carribean. Thanks Kenny for performing your song at Mongoose Junction.

7. Anna Myers
    March 1, 2018 at 11:01 am

amazing what Kenny has done, and he loves the island and his fans, hope and love baby

8. Dori
    March 1, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Tears-a-flowing, every time I watch this, for my beloved St John. Last Sept.-Oct. would’ve been our 27th yearly there, and we can’t wait to get back (not sure yet of which months this year!). And the love for Kenny and all he’s done for that beautiful rock, and all who live there, just keeps growing…his “Songs from an Old Blue Chair” gets us through the time between, for sure. Thank you, Kenny and Love for Love City—and Jen, for keeping us up-to-date. See you soon (as possible!)!

9. Ardis Petit
    March 1, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Mr. Chesney, thank you for your generosity to a community in need. Hand to heart from a Canadian fan. Keep up the good work. Ekosi.

10. Cliff
    March 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Heard this morning as well, that 865 dogs are being placed up for adoption from St Johns, through Kenny’s rescue efforts, in about 10 days

11. Lisa
    March 1, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Kenny I admire and love you and your music you are a beautiful soul

12. Dakota Smith
    March 1, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Kenny I love you will you marry me?

13. Rupert Samuel
    March 1, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Once again Jenn gets the scoop! I hope islanders realize what an ace reporter we have in our midst because surely she will get scooped up by the giant media corporations soon. Enjoy this while we have it! Just hope whoever takes over when Jenn takes that dream job is one tenth as good as her and then we will be fine!

• Gina
      March 2, 2018 at 9:08 am

I don’t know, a lot of people would think she already has the dream job!! Jus’ sayin’ :)

14. Margy Taylor
    March 2, 2018 at 9:27 am

This made me cry. Kenny really does love Saint John, as I do as well. Thank you Kenny for everything you are doing to help our beautiful little island!

15. Michael Barry
    March 2, 2018 at 9:44 am

We were so thrilled to host Kenny for the Wednesday Night Jam at Sun Dog Cafe, now in its 12th year. I can’t say enough about him and what he had done for our island. We only learned of his appearance an hour before the event, and want to thank Miss Ingrid, who hosts the event, for inviting him.

16. Mary
    March 2, 2018 at 1:38 pm

I loved watching this video on Facebook. Can’t wait to see Kenny in Chicago at Soldier Field in July!!!!

17. Teresa Lynn
    March 2, 2018 at 9:19 pm

A shinning soul with a bright light

18. pianogrl
    March 3, 2018 at 8:51 pm

LOVED this….what a heart he has! Kenny – thank you for doing this. So sad to have to miss you here in Dallas on May 19th….but…..I have an EARLY flight the next morning for ST. JOHN!!!! and I’m not missing that flight! I saw you here the last 2 times you were here & it was amazing! Thank you for all you’re still doing for the islands!

19. Anne Marie
    March 4, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Kenny Chesney is a generous man
    and he deserves the honor of singing with Loren .

20. Kathy
    March 5, 2018 at 12:08 am

Hey everybody, in case you didn’t know, Kenny Chesney will be having his 50TH BIRTHDAY on March 26th!! Kenny has given SO MUCH to St John. Can we do something really special for him in return and appreciation?